The Bulletin

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2018 11:30 am  #1

ns of training camp. Will Emry be a m

EDMONTON -- When the Edmonton Oilers traded for Ben Scrivens on Jan. 16 they did so in hopes the Spruce Grove, Alta., native would solve their inconsistent goaltending problems. The 27-year-old showed on Wednesday he may just be the solution. Scrivens stopped all 59 shots he faced to backstop the Oilers to a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks. The win matched Edmontons season-high three-game winning streak. "Hats off to the goaltender, he was tremendous," said San Jose coach Todd McLellan. "Probably first, second and third star. If he wasnt he deserved it. Heck of a performance. In all my years in the league I dont think Ive seen that. We attempted 100 shots on goal, that doesnt happen very often." The 59-save shutout is an NHL record. The 59 shots tied the mark for the most ever given up by Edmonton and Scrivens 59 saves were a team record. Previously Edmonton gave up 59 shots to the New York Rangers in 1993, winning that game 4-3. The Oilers were outshot 20-7, 22-9 and 17-11 by periods as the Sharks, 7-3-0 in their previous 10 games, dominated play, territorially and by shots. But they couldnt beat Scrivens, who made his fourth start for the Oilers and won his second game. He went into the game with an 8-7-4 record, a 2.03 goals-against average and .930 save percentage. He improved all three of those marks Wednesday. "I was seeing the puck well," he said afterwards. "We got extremely lucky with a couple of posts in the second. "I had an awful, awful warm-up, it was an inauspicious start to it," he added. "Its one of those things where you try not to look at the forest while youre in the trees. You try to focus on the process and give yourself a chance to make that save and when the puck drops again, you try to focus on the next one and dont try to get too far ahead of yourself." Other than Scrivens the team effort was spotty at best. "Thats how I thought our skaters were playing the game; they were watching Ben play," said Oilers coach Dallas Eakins who wasnt particularly happy despite the win. "It was an incredible thing to watch, Ive never seen that before. Im so happy for Ben and proud of him and then youre mad at the same time." The Oilers capitalized on San Jose mistakes to get the win they didnt really deserve. Defenceman Justin Schultz in the first period and Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle in the third scored the Edmonton goals. Schultz scored on a shot from the blue line that defected off a San Jose player in front of goaltender Antti Niemi. Hall buried a shot just under the crossbar to finish off a two-on-one break with Eberle six minutes into the third and he assisted on Eberles goal in the final two minutes. The story was all Scrivens, who got a well-deserved standing ovation late in the second period and several more in the third. While the Sharks rattled two shots off the goalpost in the second period, Scrivens had them shaking their heads with some of his spectacular saves. Among his best were point-blank stops off Patrick Marleau, Jason Demers twice, Bracken Kearns, Brent Burns and Tommy Wingels. "Usually when you put 20 shots on goal in the first period you get one goal," said Wingels. "So at that point we knew we would have to keep going. We were saying get 20 more shots, get 20 more shots and you think thats a recipe for success. Unfortunately tonight it wasnt." Hall said the Oilers skaters could sense towards the end of the first period that they were watching something special. "Obviously you dont want to give up 59 shots, but sometimes a goalie has to stand on his head and that has to be one of the best performances by a goalie, I have ever seen." The loss was San Joses first to Edmonton this year after winning 3-1 and 5-1 in their previous two games. Womens Rangers Jerseys . According to a report from ESPN, the veteran safety has signed another one-year deal with the team Raiders, the team that drafted him, and who he returned to last year after a long stint with the Green Bay Packers. Mika Zibanejad Jersey . - Steve Stricker usually doesnt show up at a tournament on Sunday. http://www.authenticrangersshopnhl.com/wayne-gretzky-jersey/. Joining him in this years class were Switzerlands Patrick Huerlimann and Norways Eigil Ramsfjell. The announcement was made at the world mens curling championship at Capital Indoor Stadium in China. Rangers Jerseys For Sale . -- League scoring leader Anthony Mantha had two goals and two assists to lead the Val-dOr Foreurs over the Blainville-Boisbriand Phoenix 6-3 on Wednesay in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League play on Wednesday. Joe Kocur Jersey . Felton was in court as the Manhattan district attorneys office outlined the agreement, which would resolve a gun case that arose amid the breakup of his marriage. Hes expected to admit June 30 to at least one charge, attempted criminal possession of a weapon -- he wont have to come to court to do so -- and get a $5,000 fine and 500 hours of community service.It could be a two-for-one bargain. When the Toronto Argonauts signed Shea Emry to a free agent deal in February, they did so expecting him to be an impact player on the field. If he plays to his ability, theres no question hell provide them with quality production from his linebacker position. Theres another intangible he hopes to provide the double blue with as well; leadership. Emry was at the Argos office in downtown Toronto on Tuesday, where he told TSN.ca that he considers himself someone who is comfortable in that role, and is cognizant of the opportunity that exists for him to become a leader among Boatmen. "I consider myself to be (a leader)," said Emry. "I want to be considered as one by my teammates and I want to consider my teammates to be guys that can lead me. Everyone has their down moments, everyones got their plays they mess up and you need a team thats going to pull together." Appropriate words from the newcomer, as Pull Together has been the Argos motto for decades. Theres an opportunity for the 2012 East Division Outstanding Canadian to make an immediate impact in a leadership capacity because there have been several veteran Boatmen who have jumped ship. Does that present an opportunity for Emry to immerse himself into a leadership role more quickly than he could if it was a team with its defensive core returning? "Possibly. Theres a lot of turnover going on on the defensive side of the ball with Khalif Mitchell (free agent), Marcus Ball (New Orleans) and Pat Watkins (Edmonton)," Emry continued. "Its tough because theyre three really, really good players. Stepping into a defence that Ive already played in for a coach that Ive already played for (new defensive coordinator Tim Burke), thats going to be a benefit for me beccause I know how they work and a dynamic between us already exists.dddddddddddd I can be a liaison between the young players and the coaches." The Richmond, B.C. native has already made a decision that should endear him to his new team, but may cause some eyebrow-raising within his family. The linebackers brother is getting married June 1, the same day as the first on-field sessions of training camp. Will Emry be a member of the wedding party? No, hell be on the field at York University for the rigors of two-a-days. "Its a pretty bad situation for me to be in," Emry admitted. "For the family, it doesnt make anyone feel good, but its the decision that I needed to make for the integrity of the person that I want to be as a football player and as a professional." This is not the first time that nuptials and football have butted heads in the family. Emry also missed his sisters wedding, which happened during his rookie season in Montreal. It wont make missing his brothers ceremony any easier, but making a good impression on his new team is that important to him. "If this was Montreal and I was sitting here taking to a Montreal reporter, we wouldnt be having this conversation because I would go (to the wedding)," he confided to TSN.ca. "But this is my first year here and I have a responsibility to give it my best and take every opportunity to make a difference on this club." Emry did not try on the new jersey, but held it up for photographers. Did the former Alouette like seeing his name on the uniform of a former rival? "It made it real for me," said Emry. "It was super exciting and it was quite a shock to be honest with you. Im very excited about it." To be honest with Emry, so are Argonaut fans. Cheap Saints Jerseys Cheap Ravens Super Bowl Jerseys Cheap Chiefs Super Bowl Jerseys Cheap Panthers Super Bowl Jerseys Cheap Falcons Super Bowl Jerseys Cheap Redskins Jerseys Cheap Chargers Jerseys Cheap Browns Jerseys Cheap Texans Jerseys Cheap Ravens Jerseys Cheap Panthers Jerseys Cheap Jets Jerseys Cheap Titans Jerseys Cheap Chiefs Jerseys Cheap Bills Jerseys Cheap Rams Jerseys Cheap Jaguars Jerseys Cheap Falcons Jerseys Cheap Bills Super Bowl Jerseys Cheap Colts Jerseys Cheap Bengals Jerseys Cheap Cardinals Jerseys Cheap Buccaneers Jerseys ' ' ' 

Board footera