The Bulletin

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2017 3:32 am  #11

Re: Henley Women's Regatta

Why have an amateur regatta in the first place?

6/17/2017 2:02 pm  #12

TobyLangstone93 wrote:

Who gives a shit

Presumably women

6/17/2017 7:00 pm  #13

It's just shit. One criticises HWR for the standard of rowing and the distance and is met with calls of sexism. Why can these crews hide behind the banner of 'equality', especially in 2017 with the new events for women at HRR? There is absolutely no parity between the two events, despite what shit women's crews from low level universities may say, stressing the 'Henley' in HWR. An amateur regatta for both genders should not even exist. Racing on the Henley stretch should be an experienced hard earned, not something that novices can achieve. Patronising to the many fantastic women's crews who race at the required level for Henley at HRR. 

6/18/2017 4:49 pm  #14

rantymcrantface wrote:

It's just shit. One criticises HWR for the standard of rowing and the distance and is met with calls of sexism. Why can these crews hide behind the banner of 'equality', especially in 2017 with the new events for women at HRR? There is absolutely no parity between the two events, despite what shit women's crews from low level universities may say, stressing the 'Henley' in HWR. An amateur regatta for both genders should not even exist. Racing on the Henley stretch should be an experienced hard earned, not something that novices can achieve. Patronising to the many fantastic women's crews who race at the required level for Henley at HRR. 

"New events for women at HRR" - all of them are still Open events. So men can have intermediate and club events on the Henley stretch, but women can't, because? Yes, at the low end the standard for HWR's club events is lower than HRR's - women's rowing is just smaller than men's, there is less depth.

If you want HRR to be all Open, which is what you seem to be suggesting, it will be a much much smaller event and hardly any British amateurs will ever race at it. Open and Int only but mixed-gender with all the club/student events relegated to a separate event is at least a sane idea. The ninth-fastest W8 in Britain is far more 'worthy of a race at Henley' than the 129th-fastest M8.

6/18/2017 5:30 pm  #15

Moaning about Henley women's seems so pitiful. It's clearly a popular event for girls and women rowers around the world. And it's now been going on for three decades. 

This 'experience hard earned' nonsense is a load of hooey too, I first raced at Henley with less than a year's experience and a gash 2k.

6/18/2017 9:16 pm  #16

chainyanker wrote:

Moaning about Henley women's seems so pitiful. It's clearly a popular event for girls and women rowers around the world. And it's now been going on for three decades. 

This 'experience hard earned' nonsense is a load of hooey too, I first raced at Henley with less than a year's experience and a gash 2k.

It's not especially difficult to qualify for a club event at HRR which is part of the problem especially in comparison to how hard it is to qualify for the women's events.

6/18/2017 10:04 pm  #17

Crewforthemany wrote:

It's not especially difficult to qualify for a club event at HRR which is part of the problem especially in comparison to how hard it is to qualify for the women's events.

I see that as a reason to improve HRR, not mess with HWR which by all accounts is a very popular and successful event.

6/18/2017 10:30 pm  #18

The issue that people have with comparing HWR standards to HRR standards, is the winners of the lower tier events. I'd argue that Senior level and above is of the equivalence of HRR (take that with a pinch of salt, before you throw percentages and results at this post). Senior 8+ in my eyes is of a similar standard to Thames/Temple. Elite 8+ is of the Plate standard.

I think it is misrepresented when people flaunt their "Henley" win after rowing in their 3rd boat all year.

6/19/2017 2:01 pm  #19

chainyanker wrote:

Crewforthemany wrote:

I see that as a reason to improve HRR, not mess with HWR which by all accounts is a very popular and successful event.

Perhaps if HRR extended out to Tuesday - Sunday we would see club level Womens events. 

But, if HRR go in this direction HWR is going to be pushed further into the realms of a novice regatta and taken less seriously. 

HMR? Two lower level events down the 1500m HWR course giving smaller clubs something to aim for. 

6/21/2017 12:02 am  #20

Bankrider wrote:

The issue that people have with comparing HWR standards to HRR standards, is the winners of the lower tier events. I'd argue that Senior level and above is of the equivalence of HRR (take that with a pinch of salt, before you throw percentages and results at this post). Senior 8+ in my eyes is of a similar standard to Thames/Temple. Elite 8+ is of the Plate standard.

I think it is misrepresented when people flaunt their "Henley" win after rowing in their 3rd boat all year.

The restrictions on  eligibility for club events at hwr are ridiculous. If you ever win a raffle or a three legged race you'd be excluded

Board footera