The Bulletin

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2017 1:37 am  #1

Upper Thames being knobs

What a small minded and petty move. Why have they done it? Are they that desperate for money that they'll spite the people just out for a nice day to watch the rowing?

6/27/2017 2:42 am  #2

Re: Upper Thames being knobs

And no picnics on the strips they own on the top and bottom of the picture.

6/27/2017 3:10 am  #3

Perhaps some regattas and heads might consider rejecting entries from Upper Thames crews

6/27/2017 3:33 am  #4

They have released a statement on it.

https://upperthamesenclosure.com/some-context-for-the-creation-of-the-upper-thames-enclosure/

In recent years bottlenecks caused by litter and the sheer volume of foot traffic on the towpath during HRR have made it dangerous at peak times, to the extent that people have ended up in the river and tempers have frayed. In hot weather people have passed out and the delays, which can last for up to two hours, have made the towpath unpleasant.
The emergency services have become increasingly concerned by congestion caused by picnickers sitting on the towpath, effectively blocking the route, and by excessive drunkenness in unmonitored areas; also, the potential use of glass bottles being used as missiles cannot be taken lightly.
It is in this context of genuine concern that UTRC are trialling a new, wider pedestrian pathway across its land that will re-route pedestrians twenty metres back from the river along a hundred metre stretch and back onto the towpath before Old Blades.
 No one is being directed onto Remenham Lane.
UTRC incur costs in excess of £30,000 as a result of Health and Safety provision that has to be provided during HRR regardless, including footpath lighting, lifeguards, safety boats, First Aid, security and marshalling. These costs are compulsory. The police and EA are supportive of anything that improves safety and makes their job easier. We all want the safest possible regatta and daily meetings take place during HRR between licensees and statutory bodies to ensure the event run smoothly.
Towpath 4 runs from Henley Bridge to Old Blades. Bye-laws created in the 1950s allow for pedestrians to be re-routed along Towpath 4, which is the basis for the enclosures further upstream.
UTRC continues to contribute to the safety of spectators along the Berkshire bank. We take our responsibility seriously in conjunction with the police, EA, emergency services and licensees at HRR and look forward to a safe and enjoyable event in 2017. ENDS

I suppose it's fair enough for the weekend but is it really necessary for Weds-Fri?

It also annoys me that I've put in for my tickets without any sign of when they're going to be released. I expect they've swamped themselves with far more requests than they can handle.

Last edited by chainyanker (6/27/2017 3:34 am)

6/27/2017 2:43 pm  #5

All their concerns about the people and activities on the towpath are valid, but I can't see at all how dragging people up, around, and through the UTRC compound will solve any of it at all. Indeed it will create more problems.

This scheme will eliminate the picnickers and spectators - both stationary 'obstructions'.

It won't stop or alter the volume of traffic.

It will bring everyone (including all the anti social elements) into the UTRC area. Instead of having one fence at the towpath, they now need two. And double the security. I'm not entirely sure that I'd like to have to cross a busy pathway with my fresh pint in hand to get from the clubhouse to the water to watch a race.

The emergency services argument is BS. They bring vehicles around the back, then go on foot along the path. This will not alter this nor improve it.

​I think the UTRC members will have the final say on this. It will inconvenience them and make their club less secure.

Someone on committee has been sniffing too much glue...

6/27/2017 2:57 pm  #6

Isn't part of the reason for the path congestion because UTRC have previously squeezed the path space down to the absolute minimum by having a temporary fence right up against the tarmac path?

6/27/2017 7:04 pm  #7

Isn't it free to get a badge?

6/27/2017 10:02 pm  #8

Sculler wrote:

Isn't it free to get a badge?

So they say but I applied days ago and I've heard nothing. And I doubt they'll get back to me for tomorrow.

6/28/2017 10:33 pm  #9

Access to the bank (picnics etc) isn't banned, they put the fence in to split towpath traffic and picnics, and to stop the picnic area getting too congested.

And from what I heard, 2500 people signed up and got their badges, so to the person who says they signed up but didn't get their wristband, try contacting the organiser, everyone I know managed to get one.

6/28/2017 11:05 pm  #10

Outraged of Hammersmith wrote:

And no picnics on the strips they own on the top and bottom of the picture.

Wrong!

Board footera