The Bulletin

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2017 5:37 pm  #251

Re: Students in Club events

Ed wrote:

Fatsculler wrote:

BigJim wrote:

If Team Keane have Berwick- Cooley on board then surely they will be in the Ladies as he has a medal at the U23s last year which is against the rules for the Thames?

Team Keane are fully Thames Cup eligible, this was the line up at Marlow
Robert Boswell
Jorgensen Tveit
Benedict Aldous
George McKirdy
James Goble
Henry Shalders
Charlie Thurston
Stevan Boljevic

Angus Forbes rather than Jorgen. But still all eligible. I wonder what were the reasonings behind them entering the Ladies

Aldous and McKirdy both raced for Isis this year and, as such, must still be students of OU. Therefore... NOT club eligible! Pretty sure there's a number of other current students in the crew too. 

6/19/2017 7:48 pm  #252

IMO the Steward's have made the right call to bump up Team Keane and Elizabethan, although I'm still unsure about Taurus - having said that there is an element of karma after the pi$$ take of 2013.

Even if Keane and Elizabethan had entered the Thames, Marlow results would suggest they are not fast enough to win. However, I'm glad that it provides two additional spaces for 'genuine' club crews further down the order.

Wyfold looking like the hardest to call club event with Sport IC, London, TSS  all very close and Thames and Molesey not far behind. Undoubtedly a couple of decent foreign entries as well.

Thames looking increasingly like a second win in three years for TRC with Leander juniors their closest domestic rivals. Challenge for the title likely to come from one of the unknown Kiwi, US or two German crews.

Brit will probably go to a foreign entry, although Molesey, Sport IC and Thames will all have something to say about that with just 1.5s separating them at Marlow.

Interesting that not a single provincial club seemingly amongst the 'favorites'. Hopefully this is just a fallow year, rather than the sign of things to come, although I am not particularly optimistic. Shame

6/19/2017 8:19 pm  #253

Anonymousrower2 wrote:

Ed wrote:

Fatsculler wrote:

Robert Boswell
Jorgensen Tveit
Benedict Aldous
George McKirdy
James Goble
Henry Shalders
Charlie Thurston
Stevan Boljevic

Angus Forbes rather than Jorgen. But still all eligible. I wonder what were the reasonings behind them entering the Ladies

Aldous and McKirdy both raced for Isis this year and, as such, must still be students of OU. Therefore... NOT club eligible! Pretty sure there's a number of other current students in the crew too. 

And where in the rules does it say students are not eligible for club events. Pretty sure there's a current student in the Thames A boat...

6/19/2017 8:32 pm  #254

I think the point is that they represented their university at a high level in the 2016/17 season and therefore they should not be entering club events in the same year. Being a student should and does not exclude you from racing for a club if you have trained with and represented them throughout the season.

Also (I think that) your claim there is a student in the Thames A boat is incorrect, but I could be wrong

6/19/2017 8:48 pm  #255

Thomas P wrote:

And where in the rules does it say students are not eligible for club events. Pretty sure there's a current student in the Thames A boat...

Ripper has pretty much answered it.

If you are in a strong university program which means near-elite training schedules and resources, then you are now going to be pushed up. Simply being a student is not what they are targeting. A student at a university without any rowing would be fine, as would someone from a minor/low performance university club (which is probably attached to a regular club anyway).

Someone posted the 2013 Stewards meeting minutes a few pages back where they decided this.

6/19/2017 8:50 pm  #256

Post number 25.

6/19/2017 9:15 pm  #257

Ed wrote:

Fatsculler wrote:

BigJim wrote:

If Team Keane have Berwick- Cooley on board then surely they will be in the Ladies as he has a medal at the U23s last year which is against the rules for the Thames?

Robert Boswell
Jorgensen Tveit
Benedict Aldous
George McKirdy
James Goble
Henry Shalders
Charlie Thurston
Stevan Boljevic

Because you are forgetting the one rule of the Thames Cup. Phelps wins. Had a little whinge to daddy and made sure the competition was cleared away nicely.

6/19/2017 9:17 pm  #258

kingcunt wrote:

Ed wrote:

Fatsculler wrote:

Robert Boswell
Jorgensen Tveit
Benedict Aldous
George McKirdy
James Goble
Henry Shalders
Charlie Thurston
Stevan Boljevic

Because you are forgetting the one rule of the Thames Cup. Phelps wins. Had a little whinge to daddy and made sure the competition was cleared away nicely.

I'm still just laughing so hard at "Berwick- Cooley" 

6/19/2017 10:34 pm  #259

Most of these guys were listed as racing in their Oxford college boats for summer eights at the end of May. To suggest they are bona fide members of Team Keane two months before close of entries is just a load of bollocks. Being a member of a club should entail more than simply producing a dubious backdated piece of paper. The rules need tightening up to stop this blatant cheating, which its what it is.

6/19/2017 10:59 pm  #260

james stanhope wrote:

kingcunt wrote:

Ed wrote:

I'm still just laughing so hard at "Berwick- Cooley" 

imitation is the highest form of flattery Chopley 

Board footera